Why a Propane Water Heater Is a Smart Choice for Your Maine Home
Posted: October 17, 2018
The average American uses more than 60 gallons of hot water a day to fill their showers, dishwasher, sinks, and washing machine, so it’s no wonder that water heating accounts for about 18 percent of an average monthly energy bill.
The good news is you can lower that number when you install a high efficiency propane water heater.
A propane water heater will not only help you lower your bills, it will also shrink your home’s carbon footprint, and possibly even boost your home’s resale value. Here are six reasons why a propane water heater is a smart choice for your Maine home:
- It costs less – Propane provides more heating power per dollar than electricity, but that’s only the beginning of the cost savings. When you factor in the lower cost to maintain propane equipment and its longer life span, a propane water heater comes out far ahead, with a total cost of ownership of about 30 percent less than electric-powered and 25 percent less than oil-fired water heaters.
- It’s more efficient – Propane water heaters heat water twice as fast as electric heaters – which means you will get more hot water from a smaller sized tank, and you’ll have shorter recovery times. With efficiency ratings well into the 90s, propane water heaters are substantially more efficient than older oil-fired water heaters, which often have efficiencies in the 70 percent range.
- It’s greener – Propane is so green that it’s approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a clean alternative fuel. Using propane lowers greenhouse gas emissions compared to both oil and electricity water heating options; it’s also non-toxic, so accidental spills will not damage the environment.
- It’s more convenient for you – Propane water heaters typically last a decade longer than electric-powered water heating pumps – which means you’ll spend less time and money on equipment repairs and replacements. Propane can also be stored for longer than heating oil without breaking down, and will be available for you during a power outage, unlike electricity.
- It’s safe – Propane tanks are around 20 times more puncture-resistant than conventional gasoline tanks. As a non-toxic gas, it’s extremely difficult to ignite, which removes the risks that come with the use of an electric heater. If your propane tank does leak, it will vaporize and dissipate into the air rather than puddle and cause a fire threat.
- It can add value to your home – A propane water heater – especially a tankless model – will improve your Home Energy Rating System (HERS) and LEED scores, which adds value to your home if you sell it.
As you can see, a propane water heater provides many advantages over other fuel-powered water heater options. To see if a propane water heater is right for you, contact us today – and don’t forget to ask about our money saving propane water heater and tankless propane water heater specials!