Five Winter Storm Safety Reminders
Posted: December 26, 2018
Winter is officially here – and with it comes that ever-present chance of a good old-fashioned snowstorm here in southern Maine and New Hampshire. Be sure you’re prepared for severe winter weather by following these five steps:
- Check your fuel levels early – If you know a storm is coming and you are low on fuel, call us for a heating oil delivery or propane delivery. Make sure you have enough fuel to last at least a week in case difficult road conditions delay deliveries. Always try to call when your tank is no less than one-quarter full.
- Conserve your energy – Fuel deliveries might be delayed, so stretch out your fuel supply if you start to run low. One of the best ways to do that? Set your programmable thermostat as low as is comfortable for your family, and turn down the heat when no one is in the house.
- Keep a clear path to your fuel or gas line – Shovel a path to your fill pipe or propane tank, and clear your driveway if that’s where our trucks need to be to deliver your oil or gas. While you’re at it, clear your chimneys, flues, and outdoor vents to keep your house well ventilated and protect against CO poisoning.
- Review precautions in the event of a gas leak – If you power your home with propane, remind everyone in the house about what to do if you detect a propane gas leak in the house.
- Never use outdoor appliances to heat your home – Never use your outdoor gas grill, portable generator, or other propane heating appliances inside the house; using them without proper ventilation could cause deadly CO poisoning.
Be prepared for any winter weather with reliable propane and heating oil deliveries from Murray-Heutz. Contact us to become a Murray-Heutz customer today, or use our convenient online customer portal to schedule your delivery!