Five Reasons to Install a Propane Water Heater
Posted: May 13, 2019
Did you know that about one dollar out of every five you spend on energy bills in your Maine home goes to heating water for your taps and appliances?
It’s true – but it doesn’t have to be.
If you replace your electric water heater with a propane model, you’ll take a bite out of that 18 percent and shrink the carbon footprint of your Maine home in the process. You might even boost your home’s resale value by improving its Home Energy Rating System (HERS) and LEED scores – great news if you intend to sell your home down the road.
Need more reasons to switch from electric to propane for your water heating? Here are five of ‘em.
- Lower cost of ownership – Propane water heaters may cost a bit more up front than their electric-powered counterparts, but what matters more is the total cost of ownership over the life of your equipment. Propane water heaters cost less to maintain, have a longer lifespans (almost twice as long in the case of a propane tankless water heater), and cost less per BTU to operate. Overall, you can expect to save about 30 percent if you switch to a propane water heater over the course of its lifetime.
- Faster recovery times – Propane water heaters heat water twice as fast as electric heaters – which reduces recovery time and allows you to use smaller, more compact storage tanks (or no tank at all with a tankless water heater).
- Better environmental performance – Using propane lowers greenhouse gas emissions compared to electric-powered options, especially when that electricity comes from coal-fired plants. it’s also non-toxic, so accidental spills will not damage the environment.
- More convenience – Propane water heaters typically last a decade longer than electric-powered water heating pumps, which means you’ll spend less time and money on equipment repairs and replacements.
- A great safety record – As a non-toxic gas, propane is extremely difficult to ignite, which removes the risks that come with the use of an electric heater. If your propane tank does leak, it will vaporize and dissipate into the air rather than puddle and cause a fire threat.
As you can see, a propane water heater provides many advantages over other fuel-powered water heater options. To see if a propane water heater is right for you, contact us today – and don’t forget to ask about our money saving propane water heater and tankless propane water heater specials!