What Should I Do When My Co Detector Goes Off?
Posted: August 13, 2019
A build-up of carbon monoxide in your Central Maine home can be dangerous – or even deadly – for your family. That’s why the State of Maine requires carbon monoxide detectors in most homes, including all newly constructed homes.
But a carbon monoxide detector won’t do you much good if you don’t know what to do when it goes off. To keep your family safe, here are three things you should when you hear your CO Detector go off.
- Leave the premises and call the fire department. Gather your family and pets and leave the building if your carbon monoxide alarm is sounding. Phone the local fire department and have them investigate why the alarm went off. If no CO build-up is present, it is possible that the alarm malfunctioned; retest it, replacing batteries or the unit itself as needed (CO detectors are typically guaranteed for 5 or 10 years, depending on the unit).
- Keep an eye out for signs of CO Poisoning. If someone in the home is displaying any of the signs below, there could be carbon monoxide present. The symptoms commonly associated with CO poisoning include:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurred vision
If you see any of these symptoms present in members of your household, seek medical attention; symptoms worsen with greater exposure to CO, so act quickly. Contact the fire department for further testing to your home.
- Have all fuel-burning appliances checked after you have a CO incident. If you have determined that your CO detector incident was not a false alarm, have all your fuel burning appliances checked, serviced, and repaired by a home comfort professional before you use them again.
Why is my carbon monoxide detector “chirping”?
Distinct from the obvious sound of a carbon monoxide alarm is the “chirp” your CO detector sometimes makes. The following conditions could cause your carbon monoxide alarm to chirp consistently:
- A low-battery condition – A typical CO detector will chirp once every 15 seconds or so to indicate the batteries need replacement.
- End of Life Warning – Many models chirp every 30 seconds or so when the unit needs to be replaced; a 30-second chirp interval can also indicate unit malfunction. See your CO detector’s owner’s manual for details.
It’s important to know that your CO detector will not respond to carbon monoxide in this condition, so please address any issues right away!
Have any questions about carbon monoxide safety in your Maine home, or need to have your equipment inspected to avoid a CO problem altogether? We can help. Give the pros at Murray-Heutz a call today.